Idul Fitri or Lebaran marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadhan. In Indonesia tradition, muslims visit to their elders' home, especially grandparents and forgive each others. Beside that, we also serve many many greasy and yummy food. One of them is ketupat. Ketupat is substitute of rice. It can be eaten with rendang or opor ayam or semur or sayur pepaya (special food during Idul Fitri). They are all using coconut milk. Of course full of cholesterol hihihi. That's OK if you eat it once a year. Here it is the ketupat recipe, taught by my lovely mom.
40 medium ketupat shells, soak for a while
2,5 liter rice, wash and set aside to dry
20 liter water to boil ketupat
1 pandan leaf, tie knot
1/2tsp slaked lime *kapur sirih*
- Fill rice into 1/3 ketupat shell. Do it one by one.
- Dump filled ketupat shells in boiling water in a large pot, put pandan leaf.
- Fill the pot with water until all the ketupat are completely submerged, and boil for 3,5 hours.
- Ensure that ketupat covered with water at all times, refill water when the water level goes down.
- After 3,5 hours, remove the ketupat from the pot, soak for a while in water that filled with slaked lime. Then hang them to dry.
- To serve, halve ketupat lengthwise and then cut into 4 sections to make rice cubes.
- Ketupat ready to serve with rendang or opor ayam or semur or sayur pepaya.